"I have in sincerity pledged myself to your service, as so many of you are pledged to mine. Throughout all my life and with all my heart I shall strive to be worthy of your trust." ~ Queen Elizabeth II

Official Diamond Jubilee portrait of Queen Elizabeth II photographed in the Centre Room of Buckingham Palace, overlooking The Victoria Memorial Statue Photo: CAMERA PRESS/John Swannell
60 years ago...
 a princess, away on a trip to Kenya with her husband, Duke of Edinburgh, received the tragic news that her father, King George VI had died, and returned home to England as Queen.
Her message today, 
"as I dedicate myself anew to your service", 
is filled with hope.

She was already Queen when I was born 
and I love being on the younger end of this revelation.  
As a teacher, a week did not go by before a discussion with students would reveal their year of birth.
The most recent 'age reminder' was just last year...
when an innocent young kindergartener mentioned he was born in 2006, the year my son graduated from high school! 
At those moments, it takes me a while to let that piece of information roll around in my head...
 where it feels like a time warp.
My students quietly stare with frozen smiles on their faces, waiting for me to snap out of it.

All the while I am being taken back to the shocking memory of my very first realization that time will not stand still, or even slow down.
Years ago...
 when I was a young whippersnapper, 
one of my brilliant second graders 
mentioned the year he was born and I remember actually gasping.  
You guessed it...
the same year I graduated from high school.
If you have ever experienced this, you know the feeling when the unexpected wave of aging knocks you to the sandy reality of time.    

So...
it is refreshing from my angle of being a few years younger...
but also from the angle through the looking glass at the 60 years of service to her country as Queen.  Being the Kings daughter and all, her service began many years before, as seen on the Royal Family's YouTube channel.
She continues to serve her country with an admirable leadership style, charm without intention, handle the world with an impeccably timed sense of humor, and represent with sincere humility.

Even the fashionistas 

find her fascinating.

Stylist shares her iconic Style sporting 3D glasses... 
dressed for hockey games...
 and throughout her many years on the throne...
as she becomes the second British Monarch 
to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee. 
The first being Queen Victoria.  

2012 is an exciting year to be living in the United Kingdom
 with all of the events planned for the
and the Olympics in August.

Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Nice comments are welcome here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...